jump to navigation

SAILING AGAIN September 16, 2008

Posted by sailingnightwatch in Durbeck, FL, Florida, ICW, Pensacola, Sailing, Sailing the ICW.

Saturday and the poor people of Galveston and Houston are suffering as only one who has been through a hurricane can appreciate. Waiting in line become a way of life. It is a good time to meet new people and share your story. Good for healing. As you tend to getting your home and life back in shape, you adjust to the new lifestyle. Dealing with FEMA is like dealing with any other big bureaucracy. It is slow and bureaucratic, but they are on your side. Our experience was great. I do not know what additional costs would have been without them. Now you get to meet your insurance people. They are not on your side. The good thing is that things will get better. Not as fast as the press says or as fast as you would like, but it does get better.

We still had high water on Saturday, but less then the two previous days. The wind dropped down below 20 knots with periods below 10 knots. I had put my staysail and mizzen on before Ike rolled by. I managed to get the main up in one of the light times. The genny will have to wait for another time.

After being tied to the pier for 3 weeks, it was nice to be sailing again. During the afternoon the wind was in the high teens. With just three sails, I only heeled about 5 degrees. My speed was amazing while heading west towards Ft. Mcray. I have to go by the Pensacola Pass and with the previous days of wind the bays were full of water and with the tide, leaving with great haste. My hull speed is about 8 knots. It is neat to see the SOG sitting at 9+ knots.

I also saw more dauphins in the bay then ever before. Refuges from the heavy seas from the hurricane. They were also the size you usually see at sea. Big. I had a pod of about 8 riding my bow wave for about 20 minutes. That was fun.

There were 2 other sailboats in the anchorage and a few campers. It was like being there during the week. Cocktails were good. The wife is out visiting the granddaughter along with our daughter and son-in-law. Believe me it is mostly the granddaughter. She had pre-made my favorite meal, so all I had to do was cook it. Wonderful. The breeze was still good and I thought about sleeping in the cockpit, under the full moon. By about 11:00 P.M. it was cool enough to drive me to my bed. It would have been a nice evening to share with the wife. There will be others.

Sunday the wind was still out of the south but had lowered to the low to mid teens. Having to face the lowering tide, it was a slow ride home. The genny would have helped, but what’s the rush, it was a beautiful sail after 3 weeks tied to the pier.



No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: