jump to navigation


Posted by sailingnightwatch in Caribbean, Durbeck, FL, Florida, ICW, Pensacola, Repairs, Restoration, Sailing, Sailing the ICW.

The Cap Rail. The one that got wet. Many of the blisters were down to the bare wood. I tried sanding out the holes and building up with varnish one coat a day. That looked terrible. I then tried sanding a larger area and blending the varnish in. Well, now I went from pot marks to larger red areas. That also looked terrible. I have now wasted better then half a quart of $89 US Bristol and several hours of work on different days. All this time I am seeing more blisters with each sunny day. The heat gun I borrowed went back to its owner and they left for Trinidad. I found 2 other heat guns I could borrow and got one and took the cockpit cap rail back down to bare wood…, again.

I started putting Bristol on the taft rail yesterday and got the third coat of Bristol on this morning. I decided that part of the problem is that the wood gets to hot during the middle of the day. Therefore, yesterday first coat was on by 10 am. No blisters. Today the second and third coat were put on by 8 a.m. So far so good. I only have about ¾ quart of Bristol left. I will let the taft rail cure for a few days, do a final sand and put on a 4th coat. That will have to do till I can get some more. I will put the varnish on the cockpit cap rail and if I have enough Bristol put on 2 or 3 coats.

The boat cap rail will have to suffer through 7 coats of varnish and hope I can find some Bristol before it start to degenerate in the tropical sun. The local store that carries Bristol say it should be in on the boat the first of the month. That is the same thing they said in September. That order still is not in. I got mine sent up from Trinidad. Now they do not have any either.

So what did I do this week. Nothing but scrape and sand. Sand some more. And then varnish a little. The score: Boat cap rail, 2 coats of varnish. The taft rail, 4 coats of varnish, 3 coats of Bristol. The cockpit cap rail. 3 coats of varnish, 3 coats of Bristol, scraped and sanded back to bare wood.

The mate wants to sell the boat and buy a condo in the mountains by the grandkid. If it was not so damn cold there 9 months a year, maybe. 2 problems. I get cold at 79 degrees. We ran the generator all day for the heat gun and sanders. The mate runs the air conditioning. We just turned the systems off after making it through dinner. It is 79 degrees and I am looking to put on a tee shirt. It was 78 this morning when I went out to start working. Had a tee shirt on for 2 reasons. First to keep the sun from frying off my skin, and secondly, it was chilly out.

The mate says I can just stay inside when its cold out. My winter clothes consist of 3 long sleeve tee shirts, 3 pair of blue jeans, 2 jackets and a heavy foul weather jacket. A few months ago we were talking about staying in the islands forever and told our son to through away the last of the things we had from our house days. Not much, but it did include a box of winter clothes. Now remember, we lived in Florida for 38 years, and so our winter clothes are Florida winter clothes. They do not handle 40 above let alone 40 below.

Stay inside. It seams I am an active sort of guy. After all where are we and how did we get here. I am blessed to be able to do what it takes to do this life style. Sanding and scraping, maintaining 2 diesels and an outboard. Scrub the bottom, scrape the prop. Clean the bottom of the dinghy. Cleaning the boat hull and decks. Current list that keeps being added to and never goes away, finish bright work. That is the scraping, sanding and varnishing I have been belaboring. Re-stuff rudder stuffing box. Check out bounding system, exercise the forward head. It is rarely used. Shorten the 2 mizzen back stays. Resin over the balancing tape on one of the blades on the wind generator. Yes that is up the mast, mix resin, apply over the torn up tap very thinly so the balance is better then it is. I do not even remember the last time I was up the masts to do a good inspection. I need to clean the bottom and take photos of the prop for an experimental coating we are using. Have to send them to the company that makes the product.

All this makes me tired. Night.



No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: