jump to navigation


Posted by sailingnightwatch in Caribbean, Durbeck, FL, Florida, ICW, Pensacola, Repairs, Restoration, Sailing, Sailing the ICW.

A week ago I went to a dermatologist to have the spots checked out on my arms and this thing growing in my ear. Looked like a wart. Got some strange sounds from the dermatologist, and the “we will take a sample”. They did and then you begin the 7-10 days of raising your blood pressure while worrying. Well yesterday I got the phone call saying I was all clear. That was one of the happiest days of my life. Do not want any part of the big “C”.

I smiled so much during the afternoon that my face hurt. I had a couple good matinees and was so happy I could not go to sleep till about 2 am. That was after watching an old western. Good guy wins a gun fight with the bad guy on the main street of town. The final seen. That’s the way their suppose to end.

Been working on the bright work that never got finished last October. The varnish is done. I also repainted the depth marks on the anchor chain. I had the chain re-galvanized before we left 3 years ago. It is all worn off and the chain has a lot of rust on it. Digging the chain out and laying it on the deck made a mess. I have some hull cleaner that is very good on removing rust. Yesterday I spent better then half the day scrubbing my deck. That was the first major washing with fresh water in over a year. Now I have washed the deck since we got back, but not to that extent. The deck needs repainting, but it is clean.

I need to put a few coats of Bristol on the wood that I just varnished. Maybe Thursday. Tomorrow is my once every 3 week rent a car and do all the shopping and laundry. This is not as lengthy as last time so I will start at 9 am and try to get back before evening rush hour. Last time I got hung up in rush hour. This is a bigger town then I am used to and has a lot more traffic. Retired people are not suppose to be out in rush hour traffic.

Another strange thing about this place. When we first got here the slip had huge oysters growing on it. They were large enough that the boat could actually scrape against them. I borrowed a big scrapper, the kind you Canadian friends use to break ice, and broke them off. The rules for the marina say that you are to have your bottom scrubbed monthly. I never heard of such a thing. This weekend I put the dinghy in the water and noticed that the bottom of the boat was full of oysters about the diameter of a quarter, The prop looks like a basketball. Time to call the diver. I would like to get it cleaned by the weekend. Would like to go sailing.

Yes the mate is still at her sisters. Less then a month to go. I am ready to be a husband again.


1. Katrina - July 19, 2016

What great news about the biopsy! I’m happy too!!!!!
As far as Mary coming back….absence makes the heart grow
fonder. 🙂

sailingnightwatch - July 25, 2016

Yea, yea, yea, we did enough of that when we were younger. I need hugs.

2. Jane - July 19, 2016

Good news all around! Glad to hear!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: